Experience and Skills:
- B.A. required (English, Religion or Education preferred).
- ESL/TESL/TEFL certification is a plus.
- Master's degree in English, education, and/or ESL/TESL/TEFL helpful.
- Classroom teaching experience desired.
Terms and Conditions:
- This position is supported under the Global Mission Two-year (GM2)
contract terms and conditions or as letter of agreement, depending
on qualifications. Basic provisions include: international
transportation, transportation related to work assignment, pensions
and major medical coverage, housing and cash salary which is
adjusted according to the goods and services differential for Hong
- This position may be extended beyond an initial contract period,
depending on evaluations, performances and needs.
If Candidate is Married:
Both must complete an application for this position, even if the
spouse will not be fulfilling a specific role in the ministry. In the
context of global mission service, a spouse is seen as a
representative of the ELCA and of the receiving church regardless of
their actual role. It is important for the ELCA that both members of a
couple understand the role of missionary and are comfortable with that
reality. In addition, an accompanying spouse receives an appointment
to service by the ELCA and the support package for mission personnel
includes compensation for an accompanying spouse.
General Qualifications for ELCA Global Personnel:
- Christian faith and a commitment to the mission of the church
- Openness to various expressions of Christian faith and respect for
people of other faiths
- Respect for beliefs, values and customs of church and culture
- Well-developed inter-personal skills demonstrating understanding
- Demonstrated ability to carry out the responsibilities and the
ability to adapt to different standards and practices
- Ability to work within the framework of a local administration
- Adaptable and flexible - sense of humor - good physical and
- Live and serve in a way which reflects the vision and expectations
of the ELCA