Experience and Skills:
- B.A. in teaching is highly preferred
- Spanish in an intermediate to advanced level, required.
- Studies and certification in teaching English as a second language preferred.
- A minimum of 2 years of experience in teaching ESL preferred
- Cultural sensitivity, tolerance and intercultural patience are required.
- Excellent planning and organization skills.
- Creative skills and ideas for the preparation of practical and lessons.
- Knowledge of accompaniment model in service is helpful
- Ability to accompany students from communities in vulnerable
socioeconomic and environments.
- Leadership experience in mentoring communities and individuals
- A flexible approach to work.
Terms and Conditions
This position is supported under the terms of a Global Mission
Two-year (GM2) contract. Those provisions include: international
transportation, transportation related to work assignment, pensions
and major medical coverage, housing and cash salary which is adjusted
according to the goods and services differential for Colombia. This
position does not include provisions for dependent spouse nor children.
If Candidate is Married
Both must complete an application for this position, even if the
spouse will not be fulfilling a specific role in the ministry. In the
context of global mission service, a spouse is seen as a
representative of the ELCA and of the receiving church regardless of
their actual role. It is important for the ELCA that both members of a
couple understand the role of missionary and are comfortable with that
reality. In addition, an accompanying spouse receives an appointment
to service by the ELCA and the support package for mission personnel
includes compensation for an accompanying spouse.
General Qualifications for ELCA Global Personnel
- Christian faith and a commitment to the mission of the church
- Openness to various expressions of Christian faith and respect for
people of other faiths
- Respect for beliefs, values, and customs of church and culture
- Well-developed interpersonal skills demonstrating understanding
- Demonstrated ability to carry out the responsibilities and the
ability to adapt to different standards and practices.
- Ability to work within the framework of a local administration.
- Adaptable and flexible sense of humor - good physical and
- Live and serve in a way which reflects the vision and expectations
of the ELCA.