Experience and Skills:
- Master’s or Doctorate in theology (specific field or general)
required. Doctorate degree preferred.
- Uphold the confessional and doctrinal basis of the Lutheran
- Exercise patience and humility, with the ability to tolerate
challenging situations (in the PNG context) and adjust to them while
finding joy in learning new things.
- Open to dialogue, eager to learn the PNG culture, and appreciate
it as a Christian and how this impacts others.
General Qualifications for ELCA Global Personnel:
- Christian faith and a commitment to the mission of the church
- Openness to various expressions of Christian faith and respect for
people of other faiths
- Respect for beliefs, values and customs of church and culture
- Well-developed inter-personal skills demonstrating understanding
- Demonstrated ability to carry out the responsibilities and the
ability to adapt to different standards and practices
- Ability to work within the framework of a local administration
- Adaptable and flexible - sense of humor - good physical and
- Live and serve in a way which reflects the vision and expectations
of the ELCA
Terms and Conditions:
This position is supported under the terms of ELCA Service and
Justice Expectations and Support for Long Term Global Personnel. Those
provisions include: international transportation, transportation
related to work assignment, pensions and major medical coverage,
assistance with schooling for children from kindergarten through high
school, housing and cash salary which is adjusted according to the
goods and services differential for country of service.
If Candidate is Married:
Both must complete an application for this position, even if the
spouse will not be fulfilling a specific role in the ministry. In the
context of global mission service, a spouse is seen as a
representative of the ELCA and of the receiving church regardless of
their actual role. It is important for the ELCA that both members of
a couple understand the role of missionary and are comfortable with
that reality. In addition, an accompanying spouse receives an
appointment to service by the ELCA and the support package for mission
personnel includes compensation for an accompanying spouse.