- Teach in a bilingual junior/senior high school or elementary
school. Emphasis is for conversational English teachers but math,
science, and geography teachers are needed also. All instruction is
in the English language.
- Interpret and implement national and school mandated curriculum
through personalized lesson plans
- Prepare students for the end-of-school comprehensive final exams
in the fifth year.
- Participate in a academic year review to assess performance
- Interpret the mission and ministry of our companions back to the
ELCA through newsletters and blogs to ELCA congregations and members.
ELCA Global Mission volunteer teachers serve in Central Europe in
partnership with the Evangelical Church of the Augsburg Confession in
the Slovak Republic and the Evangelical Church of the Augsburg
Confession in Poland. These national churches, as well as their
national governments, have set English language learning as a high
priority. In partnership with the national churches, the ELCA
volunteer teachers prepare the students for a future in the church and
in society as well. Typical class size can range from 8 to 20
students. There are currently 3 small-town sites and 2 urban sites in
Slovakia, and 1 small-town site in Poland.