Job Context Information
The Mission Advancement unit is responsible for communicating with constituents and donors, handling marketing and public relations, and directing our current, deferred and major fund appeals in order to most effectively communicate around a clear identity and mission, while also motivating donors to respond with financial gifts. The work of the Mission Funding team includes: ELCA World Hunger and Disaster Appeals; ELCA World Hunger; ELCA Disaster Response; ELCA Malaria Campaign; Fund for Leaders; Global Mission Support and Mission Support.
ELCA World Hunger is a ministry of this church working toward a just world where all are fed. Through a cross-unit approach, this position works most closely with the units of Mission Advancement and Domestic Mission.
This position is part of the ELCA World Hunger team and assists the Program Director for Hunger Education with development of resources, programs, and communications to meet the timely and strategic needs of constituents. This includes curriculum development, project management, story collection and regular written communications. In addition, the Program Assistant manages the ELCA World Hunger Education and Networking Grants program and provides occasional event support to the ELCA World Hunger team.
1. Relational leadership: Respond to recurring and timely constituent needs through communication and support of ELCA World Hunger constituents and networks, including congregations, rostered leaders, churchwide staff, age-specific groups (children, youth and adult) and community organizations. Develop and maintain strategic relationships with key colleagues and partners working in the area of children, youth and family ministry. Support Program Director with regular and strategic programming and communications. This work may include representation of ELCA World Hunger at key events.
2. Curriculum and resource development: Assist program director and team in the development of strategic resources and programming developed in consultation with our networks in support of the formation and education of ELCA members. This body of work is developed in consultation with our networks and supports the vision of ELCA World Hunger as detailed in our strategic plans. Resources included in this category have a longer phase of development, often involve the work of contractors or other support staff and are intended for long-term usability. Some are developed with the intention of updating at later dates to maintain relevance. This area of work involves feedback collection, strategic planning, contract and project management, and writing.
3. Interpretation project support: Assist with internal development of written publications that equip Lutherans to see their ministry and relationship among people in hunger and poverty as an expression of their faith - including appeal letters, stories, articles, constituent communications and management of the ELCA World Hunger blog and Sermon Starters weekly email.
4. Grant, Contract and Project Management: Manage records and logistics for ELCA World Hunger Education and Networking Grants, resource project management and occasional event support. This also includes working directly with contract writers by identifying potential writers, preparing contracts, effectively supporting contract writers, and editing written work.
5. Other duties as assigned.
This position will require some travel to key events, at which the program assistant will represent ELCA World Hunger, share resources, and develop strategic relationships with key partners.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear, use hands and fingers to operate a computer and telephone. This position requires sitting for long periods of time. Reasonable accommodations can be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.