Job Context Information
This position relates to the Congregational Vitality Team, Faith Formation Team and reports to the Director, DEM Relationships for a two-year term contract.
Working with Lutheran and ecumenical partners, the Domestic Mission unit of the ELCA will accompany new and renewed congregations as centers for evangelical mission. It will partner in the leadership for that mission, and with synodical and local systems support this mission and its leadership. The unit’s work includes candidacy, poverty and justice, advocacy ministries, ethnic specific and multicultural ministries, youth and young adult ministries, disaster response and relief; and relationships with institutions such as colleges, seminaries, outdoor ministries, campus ministries, Lutheran Services of America (LSA) and Lutheran Immigration & Refugee Services (LIRS) and the ELCA World Hunger Program.
Create a coaching culture in the ELCA that will empower and multiply leaders and strengthen synodically-based coaching networks. Provide vision, leadership, oversight, and training to implement ELCA Coaching Ministry. This position relates to the Congregational Vitality Team, Faith Formation Team and reports to the Director, DEM Relationships for a two-year term contract.
1. Work with DEMs to establish and strengthen synodically-based coaching networks including equipping, training, and support of synod coaching coordinators;
2. Coordinate and oversee training events and roster of ELCA-licensed coach trainers, lab coaches and coach mentors;
3. Support larger systems and projects of the ELCA, including:
a. Specialty Coaching including discipleship, stewardship, developer and redeveloper ministries and expand to include Caring for Creation, closing congregations (Holy Closure), harnessing resources of retired pastors;
b. Equipping Leaders including Coach Mentoring, Synod Coach Coordinators, Coach Connect calls - Level I and II specialty coaches, Lab Coach Facilitators, Lab Coach Orientation and expand to include a wide variety of congregational leadership such as children, family, and music ministers, congregational council leadership, hospitality and evangelism, continuing education modules, and first-call pastors;
c. Ministry Projects including Story Matters, Realm Vitality, Creating Generous Congregations, Latino Coaching and expand to include U Process, Generosity Project, Holy Innovations Congregations, Anchor Congregations, Lutherans Restoring Creation, Retiring Pastors, Hunger and Justice, Luther Seminary Lilly Grant, Cal Lutheran University Region 2 Lilly Grant, African-American and other culturally-specific coaching.
d. Continuing Education for Coaches will work with CoachNet and credentialed coaches in the ELCA to provide quarterly continuing education opportunities for all levels of coaches active in the ELCA.
4. Collaborate with ELCA coaching leadership to strengthen a coaching culture in the ELCA including periodic meetings for equipping, support and encouragement; and managing the partnership with CoachNet;
5. In coordination with Mission Advancement, develop and manage marketing and communication tools for ELCA Coaching Ministry;
6. Provide oversight for and manage coaching program budget including the two-year approved amount ($93,150 per year for a total of $186,300) from the Mission Development Fund.
7. Supervise .25 FTE administrative support for coaching;
8. Member of the DEM Relationships Team.
Occasional travel, 5-10%. Travel via air and or automobile. Valid driver’s license required.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear, use hands and fingers to operate a computer and telephone. This position requires sitting for long periods of time. Reasonable accommodations can be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.