- Slovakia, Poland, Hungary
- Teach in a bilingual junior/senior high school. Emphasis is for conversational English teachers but math, science, and geography teachers are needed also. All instruction is in the English language.
- Interpret and implement national and school mandated curriculum through personalized lesson plans
- Prepare students for the end-of-school comprehensive final exams in the fifth year.
- Participate in a mid-academic year review to assess performance
- Interpret the mission and ministry of our companions back to the ELCA through newsletters and blogs to ELCA congregations and members.
ELCA Global Mission volunteer teachers serve in Central Europe in partnership with the Evangelical Church of the Augsburg Confession in the Slovak Republic, the Evangelical Church of the Augsburg Confession in Poland and the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Hungary. These national churches, as well as their national governments, have set English language learning as a high priority. In partnership with the national churches, the ELCA volunteer teachers prepare the senior high students for a future in the church and in society as well. Typical class size can range from 8 to 20 students. There are currently 3 small-town sites and 2 urban sites in Slovakia, and 1 small-town site each in Poland and Hungary.