Job Context Information
The ELCA Foundation works with the Mission Advancement (MA) unit of the churchwide organization to sustain and grow ministries of the ELCA. With the MA it is responsible for major gifts and deferred giving programs for individual donors and pooled investment opportunities for ELCA related ministries.
This position is primarily responsible for managing the financial reporting and accounting functions of the Foundation’s operations. This position collaborates with inter-unit and intra-unit functions that support the day-to-day and period ending functions of the Foundation, including budgeting, banking, accounts payable, information technology, and legal/regulatory compliance.
1. Supervise and direct the work of assigned staff, including staff development.
2. Assist Chief Financial Officer with annual budget preparation and monitoring of revenue and expenses versus budgeted amounts.
3. Manage the accounting functions for the Foundation’s Operations. Includes review and approval of payment requests and invoices, monitoring and projecting operating cash flows, and preparation and approval of selected accounting entries on a timely basis.Assist management in monitoring the financial performance of the Foundation.
4. Prepare management and other stakeholder reports, including accompanying analysis, for various monthly, quarterly, semi-annual and annual results of the Foundation’s operations.
5. Reconcile and settle inter-company receivable/payable accounts.
6. Prepare, review, and approve account reconciliations related to the Foundation operations. Assist the Accounting Manager - Endowments with reviewing and approving reconciliations related to the endowment and deferred gift programs, ensuring accuracy of gift and accounting results and resolving outstanding items timely, including but not limited to the annual roll-forward reconciliation.
7. Prepare related audit schedules and footnotes for financial statement reporting. Ensure that all accounting policies and critical procedures are properly documented.
8. Serve as backup to the CFO for administration, accounting, and treasury functions related to the Foundation’s operations.
9. In collaboration with gift development, gift processing, finance and information technology staff, identify and implement process and reporting enhancement opportunities.
10. Perform other duties as requested.
Minimal travel required.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear, use hands and fingers to operate a computer and telephone. This position requires sitting for long periods of time. Reasonable accommodations can be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.