Job Context Information
On behalf of the ELCA, Global Mission stewards relationships with companions in every corner of the globe; funds long-term, sustainable health and development projects; responds to international disasters; listens to companion church bodies and supports companion priorities by sending global personnel and through program grants and leadership development opportunities; and receives the gifts of Christian witness from the global church to build our own capacity in the United States.
This position coordinates event logistics and programming planning for three annual domestic Young Adults in Global Mission events, two annual New Missionary Orientation programs, and the annual Summer Missionary Conference. This position further provides high-level administrative coordination and support for critical Global Service team systems and processes.
1. Coordinate the logistics processes & planning for multiple annual Global Service events. Events include the Young Adults in Global Mission Discernment, Orientation, and Re-Entry (end-of-service) events, two annual New Missionary Orientation programs, the annual Summer Missionary Conference, & the Missionary Re-Entry program.
2. Coordinate event site and vendor acquisition & relationships for each event. Assist in the evaluation of facilities’ space and services; manage relationships with event site staff and vendors; coordinate the execution of event site contracts and timely payment of the same. Implement the decisions & plans for use of facility spaces and services.
3. Implement contract procedures for event presenters and/or event contract staff, including contracts for YAGM alumni phone interviewers & alumni small group facilitators. Prepare & submit documentation to ensure timely payment of contracts.
4. Collaborate with area desks & YAGM program staff in development of event participant lists. Coordinate participant travel, rooming assignments, meals & snacks, and any special celebratory program components (e.g. the Missionary Recognition Banquet at the SMC).
5. Monitor event budgets, generate financial reports, and implement the evaluation systems for each event.
6. Supervise the Global Service summer intern in her/his engagement with and administrative support of summer events. Ensure a positive learning experience while guiding & managing appropriate output for event-related tasks.
7. Provide high-level administrative coordination for critical Global Service team processes and systems, including those related to the preparation of missionary contracts & interviews, missionary deployment logistics, YAGM program expenses, and standardized filing & archiving systems.
8. Performs other duties as required
Overnight domestic travel for onsite management of events is required, up to approximately 35 days per year. A valid driver’s license and comfortability driving a van or other similarly sized vehicle in urban settings is required.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear, use hands and fingers to operate a computer and telephone. This position requires sitting for long periods of time. This position further requires the employee to lift and move event resources and other materials, up to approximately 30 pounds at a time. Reasonable accommodations can be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.