Experience and Skills:
- M.Div and/or other theological degrees preferred.
- Other higher theological degrees helpful.
- Certification and experience in other fields, such as development helpful.
- Ability to learn Chinese required; previous Chinese language
Terms and Conditions
This position is supported under the terms of ELCA Global Mission
Expectations and Support for Long Term Global Personnel. Those
provisions include: international transportation, transportation
related to work assignment, pensions and major medical coverage,
assistance with schooling for children from kindergarten through high
school, housing and cash salary which is adjusted according to the
goods and services differential for country of service.
If Candidate is Married
Both must complete an application for this position, even if the
spouse will not be fulfilling a specific role in the ministry. In the
context of global mission service, a spouse is seen as a
representative of the ELCA and of the receiving church regardless of
their actual role. It is important for the ELCA that both members of a
couple understand the role of missionary and are comfortable with that
reality. In addition, an accompanying spouse receives an appointment
to service by the ELCA and the support package for mission personnel
includes compensation for an accompanying spouse.
General Qualifications for ELCA Global Personnel
- Christian faith and a commitment to the mission of the church
- Openness to various expressions of Christian faith and respect for
people of other faiths
- Respect for beliefs, values and customs of church and culture
- Well-developed inter-personal skills demonstrating understanding
- Demonstrated ability to carry out the responsibilities and the
ability to adapt to different standards and practices
- Ability to work within the framework of a local administration
- Adaptable and flexible - sense of humor - good physical and
- Live and serve in a way which reflects the vision and expectations
of the ELCA