Job Context Information
The archives is part of the Office of the Secretary with responsibility for maintaining the historical records of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America and many of its predecessor church bodies and providing access to those materials to researchers.
This position supports the work of the archives by managing Records Center activities; assisting with reference inquiries and collections management tasks, including preparing records for digitization/microfilming; circulating microfilm loans; maintaining biographical files; tracking and filing periodicals, serials, and minutes; working with the collections database; and assisting with on-site researchers. Also assists the archives and the Office of the Secretary by performing office management work, such as answering phones, filing and completing financial paperwork. The work of this position is necessary to adequately manage the records of the churchwide organization, organize incoming items, complete long-term special projects, and provide quality service to the users of the archives, all necessary tasks in the mission of the archives.
1. Manages Records Center, including tracking boxes to and from churchwide offices, using and assisting others with the electronic transfer forms, and organizing the disposal of expiring records. Assists with unit consultations regarding records.
2. Assists researchers with reference inquiries, especially copying and retrieval for on-site researchers, as well as email and telephone inquiries.
3. Works with the collection management catalog, maintaining records of minutes, serials and publications. Assists with collection management projects, such as collection inventories and re-housing of archival material.
4. Checks in and files archival materials received as serials: magazines, minutes and newsletters. Assists Office of the Secretary with file and organization of protocol minutes. Follows up for missing items. Maintains biographical files.
5. Assists with in-house digitization efforts, as well as preparing material for outsourced digitization or microfilming.
6. Assists with microfilm lending and duplication program, including keeping track of loans and handling billing related to loans and purchases of microfilm.
7. Provides clerical assistance to the archives staff, including maintaining office files. Orders supplies and assures maintenance of office equipment.
8. Delivers mail and boxes weekly between the archives building and the Lutheran Center using the ELCA van.
9. Performs other duties as assigned.
Weekly travel between the Lutheran Center and the archives building using the ELCA van.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear, use hands and fingers to operate a computer and telephone. This position requires sitting for long periods of time, with some warehouse environment work, including lifting boxes up to 40 pounds, climbing ladders while carrying boxes and filing.