This position is part of the Ecumenical and Inter-Religious Relations staff team in the Office of the Presiding Bishop.
Ecumenical and inter-religious relations shall be exercised by the Office of the Presiding Bishop. An executive for ecumenical and inter-religious relations, appointed by the presiding bishop, shall coordinate the ecumenical, inter-Lutheran, and inter-religious activities of this church, and shall recommend, through the presiding bishop, policies to the Church Council and the Churchwide Assembly. (15.12.B10)
This position coordinates the day-to-day work and communications of ELCA ecumenical and inter-religious relations, providing support to the leadership of the executive, and the cohesion of the staff team.
1. Coordinate, plan, and assist with the implementation of EIR events, including regular committee and dialogue meetings, annual conciliar events, occasional conferences, and triennial Churchwide Assemblies and Ecumenical Journeys
2. Assist in all aspects of providing hospitality in accordance with ecumenical and inter-religious protocol for official EIR visitors and delegations
3. Coordinate the nomination processes for all ecumenical and inter-religious delegates to conciliar bodies, dialogues, global assemblies, meetings, and events, in accordance with ELCA representational principles
4. Assist delegates and appointees in preparation for and follow-up from events
5. Coordinate inter-unit collaboration to develop an intentional strategy for EIR formation and leadership development of individuals and communities currently under-represented in ELCA ecumenical and inter-religious life
6. Coordinate the development and maintenance of a robust EIR web presence
7. Coordinate, maintain, and strengthen communication of EIR information and events through ELCA and partner e-lists, blog/newsletter, social media, and publications
8. Draft EIR correspondence and formal written communications in consultation with colleagues
9. Update EIR databases and listservs on a regular basis
10. Coordinate budget planning, including processing of expenses, quarterly reports/reviews, and annual budgeting processes
11. Coordinate team meetings and team calendar, as well as updates to the Business Continuity Plan and other organizational policies and procedures
12. Other responsibilities as assigned
Very occasional travel, including the Churchwide Assembly.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear, use hands and fingers to operate a computer and telephone. This position requires sitting for long periods of time. Reasonable accommodations can be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.