Job Context Information
The ELCA Foundation works with the Mission Advancement (MA) unit of the churchwide organization to sustain and grow ministries of the ELCA. With the MA it is responsible for major gifts and deferred giving programs for individual donors and pooled investment opportunities for ELCA related ministries.
This position is primarily responsible for managing the administration and accounting functions of the Endowment and Deferred Gift Programs. This position collaborates with inter-unit and intra-unit functions that support the endowment program, including gift development, gift processing and donor services, investments, accounts payable, information technology, and legal/regulatory compliance.
1. Supervise and direct the work of Endowment Fund Pooled Trust accounting staff, including staff development.
2. Supervise and direct the work of the Deferred Gifts accounting staff related to administration and accounting functions for the Charitable Gift Annuity and Charitable Remainder Trust programs.
3. Manage the accounting functions for the Endowment Fund Pooled Trust. Including review and approval of capturing new accounts, account funding, maturities, and preparation and approval of selected accounting entries on a timely basis. Assist accounting management in monitoring the performance or facilitate with third party administrators for the performance of the same.
4. Prepare management and other stakeholder reports, including accompanying analysis, for various monthly, quarterly, semi-annual and annual results of the Endowment Fund Pooled.
5. Prepare monthly cash analysis to determine how much, if any, should be transferred between investment and cash accounts. Obtain signatures and provide form to appropriate 3rd parties. Settle inter-company due to/from accounts.
6. Review and approve account reconciliations related to the endowment and deferred gift programs, ensuring accuracy of gift and accounting results and resolving outstanding items timely, including but not limited to the annual roll-forward reconciliation.
7. Prepare audit schedules and footnotes for financial statement reporting as assigned. Ensure that all accounting policies and critical procedures are properly documented.
8. Serve as backup for administration and accounting functions related to the ELCA’s endowment and deferred gift programs.
9. In collaboration with gift development, gift processing, finance and information technology staff, identify and implement process and reporting enhancement opportunities.
10. Perform other duties as requested.
Minimal travel required.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear, use hands and fingers to operate a computer and telephone. This position requires sitting for long periods of time. Reasonable accommodations can be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.