The major assignment of the Nairobi International Lutheran Congregation (NILC) Pastor is to serve with undivided spirit to both the Kiswahili and the English speaking groups with a wide knowledge of their background and self interests. They must be a uniting force in terms of service and attitude to the two groups.
The NILC Pastor, assisted by an associate Pastor, is expected to prepare the Sunday bulletin in both Kiswahili and English languages.They will preach and administer Holy Communion every Sunday or invite a guest preacher to do the same.Both Pastors, assisted by their church elders, are expected to have frequent visits to their church members, especially those with known problems.
There are five major areas of ministries in which the NILC Pastor will be in-charge or give proper supervision.
- Worship - which deals with alter guild, flowers, musical instruments like guitars, keyboards, drums etc, greeters, choir, and music and the ushers.
- Learning - which covers bible studies, confirmation, new life, membership, music school, and Sunday school.
- Witness - which covers men's fellowship, women's fellowship, couples' fellowship, Youth fellowship, dinners, and healing team.
- Service - which deals with Sunday fellowship, outreach, Parish nursing, photography, dressmaking school, nursery school, and HIV/AIDS support group.
- Stewardship - which deals with NILC financial auditing, capital improvement, offering counters, building project, and property maintenance.
The NILC Pastor must have an attitude of delegating the services of the above ministries to those who have been chosen to run the same.NILC under their supervision must be represented in all Kenya Evangelical Lutheran Church committees, executive council and the general assembly and abide to the KELC constitution.The Pastor will represent the NILC at the Theological committee of KELC and other bodies in which they may be asked to participate.
The NILC Pastor will interpret the mission and ministry of companions back to the ELCA through newsletters, blogs, and visits to ELCA congregations and members.
- Kenya Evangelical Lutheran Church; Nairobi International Lutheran Congregation, Nairobi, Kenya
- The NILC Pastor is accountable to church members, church council, KELC executive council, and the KELC General assembly. They are also accountable to the sending agent, ELCA, Global Mission.