Experience and Skills:
- Minimum B.A. plus 3 years of relevant experience required; theological training at the Masters level (M.Div, M.A., etc.) or above, strongly preferred.
- Open to clergy or lay; first call candidates are welcome to apply
- 3-5 years’ experience in international service, preferred.
- Experience working with young adults, preferred.
- Group leadership skills, including mentoring young adults in spiritual life.
- Strong writing and communication skills
- Strong organizational and personnel management skills; experience with budget management and project planning
- Cross-cultural sensitivity and personal resiliency
- Ability to work collaboratively with ELCA/GM staff, Iglesia Evagelica Luterana Unida church leadership and nongovernmental organizations
- Computer skills, including MS Word, PowerPoint and e-mail
- Previous experience with the YAGM program, helpful
Terms and Conditions
This position is supported under the terms of ELCA Global Mission Expectations and Support for Long Term Global Personnel. Those provisions include: international transportation, transportation related to work assignment, pensions and major medical coverage, assistance with schooling for children from kindergarten through high school, housing and cash salary which is adjusted according to the goods and services differential for Argentina
If Candidate is Married
Both must complete an application for this position, even if the spouse will not be fulfilling a specific role in the ministry. In the context of global mission service, a spouse is seen as a representative of the ELCA and of the receiving church regardless of their actual role. It is important for the ELCA that both members of a couple understand the role of missionary and are comfortable with that reality. In addition, an accompanying spouse receives an appointment to service by the ELCA and the support package for mission personnel includes compensation for an accompanying spouse.
General Qualifications for ELCA Global Personnel
- Christian faith and a commitment to the mission of the church
- Openness to various expressions of Christian faith and respect for people of other faiths
- Respect for beliefs, values and customs of church and culture where assigned
- Well-developed inter-personal skills demonstrating understanding and compassion
- Demonstrated ability to carry out the responsibilities and the ability to adapt to different standards and practices
- Ability to work within the framework of a local administration
- Adaptable and flexible - sense of humor - good physical and emotional health
- Live and serve in a way which reflects the vision and expectations of the ELCA