Experience and Skills:
1. Effective grounding in Word and Sacrament ministry, missional theology, the theories and practice of mission development, the Missional Church Movement, and in the biblical and Lutheran understanding of stewardship that responds to God’s grace in Jesus Christ.
2. Effective communicator in preaching, sharing learnings, writing and evangelical outreach.
3. Demonstrated ability working with leaders in adaptive ways and facilitating group processes as well as knowledge, experience and/or willingness to learn, listen and utilize the arts of community organizing in growing leaders and building tables.
4. Extensive knowledge of the organizational structure of the ELCA and its congregations.
5. Ability to utilize congregational trend reports and demographic data in the process of the development of congregational vitality for new and existing congregations.
6. Experience with missional strategies for the vitality of new and existing congregations.
7. Proven effective time-management and administrative experience and ability to meet deadlines.
8. Exceptional interpersonal, organizational, analytical and communication skills and the ability to work in partnership with peers, other DM unit staff, synod and regional staff.
9. Demonstrated competency among communities of color; and well as with people and communities experiencing poverty. Ability to relate and communicate well in diverse cultural, ethnic and socio-economic situations.
1O. Active participation in a Christian congregation and God’s mission.
11. Ability to seek out additional resources and persons who can expand the capacity of the unit in doing God’s mission.
* Updated RMP must be submitted along with ELCA application
"Activated by the Holy Spirit, we equip the saints and congregations for the work of ministry, for building up the Body of Christ." - Ephesians 4:11-13, adapted
The Southeastern Pennsylvania Synod is a Reconciled in Christ Synod, progressive and very diverse. Our SEPA Synod expression of the ELCA cares for the health and vitality of Christ’s Church in Philadelphia and Bucks, Chester, Delaware and Montgomery counties. SEPA is organized into eight geographic conferences, each of which elects a local pastor to be their Dean (a part time assistant to the bishop). Congregations may be organized into local groupings or clusters to do collaborative ministry and mission. We have 151 communities of faith.
Our Synod is a network of relationships and resources that connect our communities of Jesus to support and tools for ministry in the 21st Century. The bishop, staff, deans and a multitude of teams and working groups help build bridges among communities of Jesus and leaders to fulfill our purpose: serve as a link to the Church in our five-county area. These connections foster collaboration between communities of Jesus, calling and equipping leaders for ministry, bring communities and people together to carry out Christ’s commission to make disciples, meet human needs, and build ecumenical and interfaith bridges with other Christian denominations and other faith traditions.
Our Vitality Team under the leadership of the Director for Evangelical Mission identifies the need for new Lutheran communities to reflect the changing demographics and shifting population of our five-county area, and starts and supports
new communities of Jesus and the mission developers who serve them.Currently - missions are in development and renewal.
The ministry of the synod is broad and very diverse, seeking to equip our communities of Jesus and leaders to live out their baptismal and vocational callings.
We are looking for a passionate, motivated Director of Evangelical Mission who loves Jesus, and reflects that love in words and deeds to all people.A collaborator, willing to engage our communities of Jesus with a spirit of curiosity, Holy innovation and at times Holy closure. A truth teller, willing to advocate for our LBGTQIA community, women, people of color and those living in the margins.A strong candidate would be someone who through adaptive learning is willing to fail fast and fail often to move forward in mission.
Synod Website: www.ministrylink.org