This position represents the Domestic Mission (DM) unit in the territory of the South-Central Synod of Wisconsin - ELCA, and is responsible for engaging synodical leaders, structures and strategies in the formation and development of Congregational Vitality: "Communities of Jesus that nurture life-changing relationships with God, one another and the world," and reflects the purposes, principles and commitments of the synod, DM and the ELCA as a whole. This position will coordinate and staff the education of all evangelical mission, mission support and stewardship ministry in the synod through the formation and coordination of three synodical initiatives:
1. mission support and/or stewardship
2. congregational vitality; and
3. alignment with Future Directions 2025 (www.elca.org/future)
The person in this position is expected to fully participate in the life and ministry as the synod staff, synod initiatives, and is responsible for implementing and building upon ELCA commitments to ethnic-specific communities, communities of color, the young-adult population; as well as people and communities experiencing poverty.This person participates in resourcing the synod mission strategy with an emphasis on congregational vitality and leadership.
This position will be co-terminus with the synod bishop and supervised jointly by both the Bishop of the South-Central Synod of Wisconsin and DM staff.Other assignments of responsibility will be made by the Synod Bishop and Director, DEM Relationships. The position will be based in the South-Central Synod of Wisconsin and will serve as a living representation of the interdependent nature of the ELCA.This position is full time.
1. Responsible for the development and formation of a mission support/stewardship table. This table will create a mechanism for synodical mission support that includes stewardship education, mission interpretation, convenes mission support conversations, strengthens synodical and congregational generosity and promotes asset thinking and planning. DEM supports the ELCA Comprehensive Mission Support Strategy in the synod.
2. Responsible for the formation and coordination of a synod mission table that identifies potential fields and resources for the vitality of existing congregations and new mission development of evangelizing congregations in the synod, including area ministry strategies, congregational mission plans, and congregational vitality.
3. Responsible for the development and coordination of synod mission strategy including building and developing key relationships with missional leaders who will form the synod mission strategy table. This position and table pays attention to the implementation of ELCA commitments to be in ministry among ethnic, multicultural and emergent communities; as well as ministry among people living in poverty.
4. Responsible for the administration of partnership support for the synod’s Congregational Vitality portfolio.
5. Responsible for identifying and recruiting of leaders for synod tables as well participating in the behavioral interview process to raise leaders who can also serve as mission developers and redevelopers.
6. Responsible for being a public voice on behalf of the churchwide organization and synod including preaching, share learnings and other leadership opportunities.
7. Responsible for participation in quarterly Relator conference calls which are scheduled for intentional conversation.
Must be willing to travel frequently via automobile and air (approximately 30%). Travel within the synod can usually be accomplished within the same day. Overnight stay may be required.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear, use of hands and fingers to operate a computer and telephone. This position requires sitting for long periods of time. Reasonable accommodations can be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential function.