Closing date: 03/5/2018
This position represents the Domestic Mission (DM) unit in the territory of the Florida-Bahamas Synod, and is responsible for engaging synodical leaders, structures, and strategies in the formation and development of evangelical congregations grounded in faith formation, discipleship and faith practices, and reflects the purposes, principles and commitments of the synod, Domestic Mission and the ELCA as a whole.This position will coordinate and staff the education of all evangelical mission, mission support, and stewardship ministry in the synod through the formation and coordination of three synodical initiatives:
1. mission support and stewardship
2. new congregations and/or congregational vitality; and
3. alignment with Called Forward Together in Christ.
The person in this position is expected to fully participate in the life and ministry as the synod staff, synod initiatives, and is responsible for implementing and building upon ELCA commitments to ethnic-specific communities, communities of color, the young-adult population, as well as people and communities experiencing poverty.This person participates in resourcing the synod mission strategy with an emphasis on congregational vitality and leadership.
This person will also serve as Assistant to the Bishop in the south territory by representing the bishop in:
2.team building and networking
3.Latino ministry and global mission
This position will be co-terminus with the synod bishop and supervised jointly by both the Florida-Bahamas Synod Bishop and Domestic Mission staff.Other assignments of responsibility will be made by the Synod Bishop and Director, DEM Relationships. The position will be based in the Florida-Bahamas Synod and will serve as a living representation of the interdependent nature of the ELCA.This position is 100 (% of FTE).
1. Responsible for the development and formation of a mission support/stewardship table. This table will create a mechanism for synodical mission support that includes stewardship education, mission interpretation, convenes mission support conversations, strengthens synodical and congregational generosity, and promotes asset thinking and planning. DEM supports the ELCA Comprehensive Mission Support Strategy in the synod.
2. Responsible for the formation and coordination of a synod mission table that identifies potential fields and resources for the growth and vitality of existing congregations and new mission development of evangelizing congregations in the synod, including area ministry strategies, congregational mission plans, and congregational vitality.
3. Responsible for the development and coordination of synod mission strategy including building and developing key relationships with missional leaders who will form the synod mission strategy table. This position and table pays particular attention to the implementation of ELCA commitments to be in ministry among ethnic, multicultural, and emergent communities; as well as ministry among people living in poverty.
4. Responsible for the administration and documentation of partnership support for the synod’s new and renewing congregations’ portfolio.
5. Responsible for identifying and recruitment of leaders for synod tables as well as participating in the behavioral interview process to raise leaders who can also serve as mission developers and redevelopers.
6. Responsible for being a public voice on behalf of the churchwide organization and synod including preaching, teaching, and other leadership opportunities. Provides a visible witness to the interdependent nature of the church and communicates our shared mission and vision.
7. Responsible for participation in quarterly Relator conference calls which are scheduled for intentional conversation.
ASSISTANT TO THE BISHOP RESPONSIBILITIES
A. Pastoral Care
1. Demonstrate concern for the spiritual welfare of the entire territory.
2. Meet with congregations and councils as requested.
3. Provide ongoing support for rostered persons, their families, and church staff. Refer to appropriate counseling if so determined, while keeping the bishop informed of the situation.
4. Represent the bishop's office in times crisis and in conflict situations and initiate the appropriate process for providing competent intervention, while keeping the bishop informed of the situation.
5. Act as a resource for the Assistant to the Bishop for Missional Leadership preparing call lists.
B. Team Building and Networking
1. Participate in staff meetings at least twice a month and retreats of the Office of the Bishop.
2. Preach/Preside regularly in synod congregations as an extension of the bishop as requested at occasions such as installations, anniversaries, dedications, or other congregational events.
3. Attend meeting of the Synod Council, Conference Deans, Fall/Spring Conference gatherings, and on a rotating basis at conference colleagues’ gatherings.
C. Synod-wide and Churchwide:
1. Serve as staff liaison to Global Partners/Global Mission Team.
2. Integrates synodical Together in Mission initiative into all principle accountabilities and serves on TiM leadership team.
3. Relate to other agencies, committees, task groups, or churchwide staff as requested by the bishop.
Must be willing to travel frequently (50-60% of the time) by air or automobile. Overnight stay will be required often. Valid driver’s license required.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear, use of hands and fingers to operate a computer and telephone. This position requires sitting for long periods of time. Reasonable accommodations can be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential function.