Closing date: 02/09/2018
This position represents the Domestic Mission (DM) unit in the territory of the Virginia Synod, ELCA and is responsible for engaging synodical leaders, structures and strategies in the formation and development of evangelical congregations grounded in faith formation, discipleship and faith practices, and reflects the purposes, principles and commitments of the synod, DM and the ELCA as a whole. This position will coordinate and staff the education of all evangelical mission, mission support and stewardship ministry in the synod through the formation and coordination of three synodical initiatives:
1. mission support and/or stewardship;
2. new and renewing congregation; and
3. synod mission strategy
The person in this position is expected to fully participate in the life and ministry as the synod staff and in synod initiatives, and is responsible for implementing and building upon ELCA commitments to ethnic-specific communities, communities of color, the young-adult population; as well as people and communities experiencing poverty.
This position will be co-terminus with the synod bishop and supervised jointly by both the Virginia Synod Bishop and DM staff.Other assignments of responsibility will be made by the Synod Bishop and Director, DEM Relationships. The position will be based in the Virginia Synod living in reasonable proximity to our Norfolk, VA office and will serve as a living representation of the interdependent nature of the ELCA.This position is 100 (% of FTE).
1. Responsible for the development and formation of a mission support/stewardship table. This table will create a mechanism for synodical mission support that includes stewardship education, mission interpretation, convenes mission support conversations, strengthens synodical and congregational generosity and promotes asset thinking and planning. DEM supports the ELCA Comprehensive Mission Support Strategy in the synod.
2. Responsible for the formation and coordination of a synod mission table that identifies potential fields and resources for the renewal of existing congregations and new mission development of evangelizing congregations in the synod, including area ministry strategies, congregational mission plans, and congregational vitality.
3. Responsible for the development and coordination of synod mission strategy including building and developing key relationships with missional leaders who will form the synod mission strategy table. This position and table pays particular attention to the implementation of ELCA commitments to be in ministry among ethnic, multicultural and emergent communities; as well as ministry among people living in poverty.
4. Responsible for the administration and documentation of partnership support for the synod’s new and renewing congregations portfolio.
5. Responsible for identifying and recruiting of leaders for synod tables as well participating in the behavioral interview process to raise leaders who can also serve as mission developers and redevelopers.
6. Responsible for being a public voice on behalf of the churchwide organization and synod including preaching, teaching and other leadership opportunities. Provides a visible witness to the interdependent nature of the church and communicates our shared mission and vision.
7. Responsible for participation in bi-monthly Relator conference calls which are scheduled for intentional conversation.
Must be willing to travel frequently 25-30% of the time) by air or car. Overnight stay may be required.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear, use of hands and fingers to operate a computer and telephone. This position requires sitting for long periods of time. Reasonable accommodations can be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential function.