Global Mission Volunteer
Locations and Specialties:
- Cairo, Egypt - Christian History or Christian-Muslim Encounters
- West Beirut, Lebanon - Old Testament
- Pematangsiantar, Indonesia - Missiology and Practical Theology
- Lae, Papua New Guinea - Church History, Dogmatics/Theology, Bible
- Chennai, India - Church History, Dogmatics/Theology, Bible, Missiology
- Hong Kong - Pastoral Counseling, Leadership, Theology of Ministry
- Serve as a visiting professor in the area of specialty listed.
- Preferred commitment is three months, but shorter periods are possible.
Site Information for selected institutions:
- The Near East School of Theology (NEST) is an interdenominational Protestant theological seminary serving the Evangelical churches of the Middle East and Africa. The NEST is an undergraduate and graduate theological seminary of some 40 students and seven full- and two part-time faculty. The seminary offers the following programs: B.A. in Christian Education; B.Th. with emphasis in pastoral studies; B.Th. in Christian Education; M.A.C.E. (a graduate program for educational ministries); M.Div. for pastoral ministry; S.T.M. (a post-graduate research degree); and S.T.M. in Ministry, established jointly with McCormick Theological Seminary in Chicago (a seminary of the Presbyterian Church (USA)). The seminary is housed in a modern building with classrooms, offices, faculty and student lounges, dining facilities, sanctuary and chapel, coffee shop, dormitory rooms for 50 students, six faculty apartments, gymnasium, and theater. The library contains 42,000 volumes.
- HKBP Theological Seminary in Pematangsiantar, a town between Medan and Parapat. It currently has 565 students enrolled and 20 full timer lecturers.
- Gurukul Lutheran Theological College is located in Chennai, in Tamil Nadu state. As an English-medium seminary, this seminary provides bachelor to master’s level education in an ecumenical setting. Meanwhile, Lutherans number more than 3 million in India among 12 church bodies, and Gurukul is the premier institution for the churches. The seminary shares a campus with the head office of the United Evangelical Lutheran Churches in India, the umbrella organization for the Lutheran churches.
- Lutheran Theological Seminary (of Hong Kong) is located on a mountaintop in the Shatin area. While it is a Lutheran seminary, the majority of students comes from other denominations. In the faculty is ecumenical as well. Teaching is conducted in Chinese and English. In addition to the students from Hong Kong, about 20% of the student population comes from various other countries, and about one third of our faculty comes from overseas. The seminary library has a collection of over 90,000 volumes and over 200 periodicals. Besides printed collections, there are more than 5,000 e-books, 500 full-text e-journals, CD-ROMs and various internet databases. Community life includes daily chapel services and communal noon-time meals. LTS offers degrees from bachelors to doctorates. Living accommodations will be near the campus in housing allocated to missionary professors.