Experience and Skills:
- A teaching certificate is required
- A BA/BS in Education is mandatory
- A teacher with experience who is ready for teaching in a foreign country.
- A teacher who is willing to share professional pedagogy with the
- A teacher who is sociable and appreciates other cultures
Terms and Conditions:
- This position is a Shared Personnel Placement with ELCA Service
and Justice and the Metropolitan New York Synod.
- A candidate will get an annual stipend, health insurance, Social
Security and travel allowance paid by the Metropolitan New York
- Teacher will attend a short course in Kiswahili, tuition and
textbook fees are covered.
- Teacher will participate in an orientation program both in the
United States and in Tanzania.
If Candidate is Married
Both must complete an application for this position, even if the
spouse will not be fulfilling a specific role in the ministry. In the
context of global mission service, a spouse is seen as a
representative of the ELCA and of the receiving church regardless of
their actual role. It is important for the ELCA that both members of a
couple understand the role of missionary and are comfortable with that reality.
General Qualifications for ELCA Global Personnel
- Christian faith and a commitment to the mission of the church
- Openness to various expressions of Christian faith and respect for
people of other faiths
- Respect for beliefs, values and customs of church and culture
- Well-developed inter-personal skills demonstrating understanding
- Demonstrated ability to carry out the responsibilities and the
ability to adapt to different standards and practices
- Ability to work within the framework of a local administration
- Adaptable and flexible - sense of humor - good physical and
- Live and serve in a way which reflects the vision and expectations
of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America.