Experience and Skills:
- A BA/BS in Education is mandatory
- A teacher with experience who is ready for teaching in a foreign country.
- A teacher who is willing to share their experience with the local teachers.
- A teacher who is sociable and appreciates other cultures
Terms and Conditions:
- This position is a Shared Personnel Placement with ELCA Global Mission and the Metropolitan New York Synod.
- A candidate will get an annual stipend paid by the Metropolitan New York Synod and receive health insurance through the Synod.
- Social security is also paid by the Metropolitan New York Synod
- Teacher will attend short course for Kiswahili
- Tuition for the language school will be paid
- Text books: Kiswahili one will be provided.
If Candidate is Married
Both must complete an application for this position, even if the spouse will not be fulfilling a specific role in the ministry. In the context of global mission service, a spouse is seen as a representative of the ELCA and of the receiving church regardless of their actual role. It is important for the ELCA that both members of a couple understand the role of missionary and are comfortable with that reality.
General Qualifications for ELCA Global Personnel
- Christian faith and a commitment to the mission of the church
- Openness to various expressions of Christian faith and respect for people of other faiths
- Respect for beliefs, values and customs of church and culture where assigned
- Well-developed inter-personal skills demonstrating understanding and compassion
- Demonstrated ability to carry out the responsibilities and the ability to adapt to different standards and practices
- Ability to work within the framework of a local administration
- Adaptable and flexible - sense of humor - good physical and emotional health
- Live and serve in a way which reflects the vision and expectations of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America.